Sunday, April 15, 2007

Knitting my roots

Armed with lori's insight, and with a set of steel size 0 dpns, I proceeded to work on the Eastern European footlets. Here is the seamless intarsia in progress (with some stranded action at the same time):



Once again I am amazed and awed by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts' techniques and precise instructions. I've never worked intarsia, I've never done this particular type of toe and heel, and yet her words carried me through just fine. And best of all, this is just a versatile pattern! I'm thinking of putting a traditional Romanian design (red and black X's on white background) on the instep of a pair... Anyway, I finished one of the footlets:



I realize that the result looks more like "African Pride" than "Eastern European", but the colors are bright, and the pattern is pretty, and the result is simply so cute! I worked the pattern band in green and yellow, then added the black in duplicate stitch.



Pattern: Eastern European footlets from Favorite Socks
Yarn: KnitPicks Merino Style in Charcoal, Pine and Honey
Needles: steel 0's
Comments: the gauge! the tension! It really is supposed to be 7 st / in, in DK yarn. The result is a tight but interesting fabric, and I am now conviced that the pattern looks best in this tension.