Friday, April 13, 2007

Strange events

The first Embossed Leaves sock is done. It came out a little too long, so I decided to leave out the last half-repeat of the pattern. The leg is also on the long side. Curiously, my row gauge seems to be fine... Very strange.



I was also puzzled by the black hole nested in the cable-down raglan sweater. I thought I cast on six extra stitches, but somehow one of them vanished by the time I got to the decreases. Ok, fine, maybe I miscounted that one time. But the same thing happened on the second sleeve! Obviously, a graduate degree in Mathematics does not guarantee that the owner can count.



Despite all this, the hole closes up nicely. I can't wait to finish this sleeve.



There has also been a lot of pain with the Eastern European footlets. As I posted on the "favorite socks kal", the beginning instructions must be wrong. 7st / in gauge with a worsted weight yarn, on size 4 needles? No way. I bought more of the Knitpicks Merino Style for the footlets, and I will use it. I can get gauge with size 1 needles, but the resulting fabric is tight and lifeless and thick. This yarn really wants size 3 needles, and the fabric looks beautiful, but the socks turn out too big! Solution? I will have to rework the pattern on 46 or 50 stitches instead of the suggested 58. Shouldn't be too difficult (again, that graduate degree should come in handy), but boy, am I sick and tired of knitting this toe! (3 times in Lorna's laces shepherd worsted, two times in Knitpicks so far, looking at one more...). These had better turn out gorgeous!