Sunday, February 1, 2009

Catching up

My husband and I often discuss how he loves to take lots of pictures, why I only take the minimum necessary. I call him "my Japanese tourist" and he gets angry because I don't take pictures of him, etc. Such is the excitement in our lives. 

I have been knitting some, but kept postponing to take photos. It doesn't help that the only times I'm at home and the light is decent are in the weekend, and on weekends I am even more of a lazy-bum than usually. Yesterday though, in a fit of productivity, I took a few pictures:


Interlocking Leaves socks from the Winter'09 Knitty, in Dream in Color Smooshy, color "Gothic Rose", on my trusty size 1 bamboo needles. The yarn is a lot darker than I was expecting, but I love its moody quality and the very romantic name. It's always difficult to balance the wearability of a sock (read: dark colors, since it is so difficult to get them fully clean) with the readability of the pattern (lighter colors! but then they will never look clean again), and I think this one is a bit on the dark side. Nevertheless, the pattern is gorgeous and the construction is genius: toe-ups with Judy's magic cast-on! The answer to the fuddly-duddly Turkish cast-on which, while doable, can be such a pain. If you don't know what it is, go look it up now (knitty has a tutorial). Then a toe-up gusset with short rows and a heel flap and everything - this is now my dream sock construction. I made the socks fairly long: 



The Smooshy yardage is very generous - I still have a lot leftover - and it's nice to have longer socks. I knit the last few lace repeats on size 2 needles to accommodate my shapely calves; all those hours of dancing are showing quite nicely. Also showing: my long silk underwear, bought in the middle of another frightening winter from a specialty store in Madison, WI. They last and last and last and I'd be so lost without them.

Coming up next: fancy sweater photos.