Wednesday, May 9, 2007

When in doubt...

Audrey is finished and blocking; expect photos of breathtaking beauty some time soon. I think she turned out allright, but it's hard to say before blocking, with those lacy straps.

Don't knit under the influence! I did, and the result is 3/4 of a sleeve for Notre Dame de Grace from the latest IK:



The texture is great, and this could be an awesome pullover with that intricate collar. But.. do I have enough yarn? I doubt it. I bought 4 skeins of merino, total yardage about 840. The pullover requires 880, so theoretically one could pull this off (since patterns don't always use every scrap of yarn). However, Notre Dame is eating yarn at an alarming rate: it looks like one sleeve will take 1 skein of yarn! You don't need amazing math skills to tell that since the front and back have a larger surface area than the sleeves, there is no way this sweater can be made from 4 skeins of yarn!

I'll need to think about what to do. One idea was to make the collar and the shoulder plackets from Peace Fleece Georgia, which knits to roughly the same gauge. But do I want a collar made out of Peace Fleece? Until a decision is reached, Notre Dame de Grace will be on hold...