Sunday, August 19, 2007

Ending and beginnings

I frogged the Austrian socks. I just couldn't make myself to love the twisted stitches. I am a loose knitter and these just looked tight and forced and unhappy. Plus, as I've already mentioned, the Louet Gems Sport is splitty. So... I'm swatching a lace project instead - I'll post about it at some point, if I decide to make it.

Now, for beginnings: what does the green marker stand for?

(picture here)

The green marker shows how much scarf you can get from one skein of Rowan Cashsoft 4-ply. I wanted to send a scarf / shawl to my mother this Fall, and I don't have anything practical enough and unfussy enough in my pile of shawls. Plus, you don't want to send as a gift something that needs extensive blocking and looks awful otherwise. Thus - the two skeins of Cashsoft, in a beautiful jewel-tone deep red. Have I mentioned how much I love red and pink tones? So far I am very, very pleased with the yarn. It is remarkably soft and buttery and should hold up allright in a scarf.

The scarf is the romantically-named "Scarf with edging 21 and insertion 25 from The Knitted Lace Pattern Book, Thompson Bros., Kilmarnock, Scotland 1850" from Victorian Lace Today. I did only three repeats for the border lace instead of 4 and narrowed the center panel pattern to fit those three repeats. Great pattern, easy to memorize and I'm already past the middle. I've wanted to try the wide-border scarf construction for some time, and this is the perfect opportunity.

Photo in the morning. It's been raining all day here, and the light is problematic.