Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Oh my

I've broken my yarn diet. Duh, how long did I think it was going to last? Maybe I can make it "at most one purchase a month" - so August is done. Hopefully the yarn for Venezia will arrive in September, if it ever arrives. Are the sheep in Shetland still growing this yarn?

Anyway, who could resist Elsebeth Lavold's Silky Wool at $3.49 a hank?! I'll make the Tangled Yoke Cardigan from the latest IK, this yarn is perfect for cables and has enough structure to be interesting on the plain stockinette parts.

On a totally different note, we went hiking and camping this weekend. I wore some of my non-lacy handmade socks (Roza's socks! ancient storm striped socks! tiger stripe socks! wait, those were J's) while J wore some fancy hiking socks from EMS. Guess who got blisters. No, not me. I know this is not exactly a scientific experiment, so many things were different, but it makes me wonder. I think the handmade socks provide more cushion or something. I'll have to make more. I already have some ideas about working the leftover sock yarn into beautiful designs.

Finally, I finished the Arctic Diamonds stole. I did the last few rows this morning, I used EZ's cast-on cast-off for the ending, and then blocked it in the afternoon. I think I am quite pleased with the result; this one is coming to California with me.



Pattern: Arctic Diamonds Stole by Donna Druchunas, IK Winter '07

Yarn: KnitPicks Palette, Red, about 4.5 balls

Needles: size 3 circulars

Comments: I added a selvedge stitch on each side, and I think it make a difference. It was definitely worth knitting 6 repeats of the pattern, and I like the size of the finished product. Also, I am very much in love with Donna Druchunas' pattern style - I especially appreciate ktbl on the 2nd row above a YO, it makes a nice round opening in the pattern and I will definitely use this technique again.