Thursday, January 3, 2008

Happy New Year!

Where I come from, you don't make resolutions for the new year. Instead, you nurse your hangover (from the big party), spend a few days eating a lot (must finish all that holiday food somehow!) then reluctantly head back to work. This January I am continuing an extended holiday, a.k.a. try to figure out what to do with my life. No heading back to work for a while, or maybe ever? In any case, here is a knitting resolution for the new year:

This year I'd like to make more traditional and historical objects. First there was the genuine Shetland shawl I mentioned in my last post. I am also having such a great time working on a pair of Norwegian gloves and I saw a gorgeous Nordic sweater at the new year folk festival I've just returned from - ideas, ideas.... And I'm falling in love with Folk Shawls, so I will definitely have to make more shawls from it. Here is the first of the Norwegian gloves:




I gave the black bunny socks to my mother-in-law, and I don't even have photos. Damn. In any case, the socks turned out gorgeous. I wasn't going to make them a gift, but she was wearing cotton socks in the middle of the midwestern winter. Nobody should wear cotton socks when it's 0 F outside.

Almost forgot: check out this idiotic anti-knitting article on our local alternative weekly paper. I bet the author eats frozen TV dinners and dresses completely in plastic, because, you know, it saves time and does away with chores.