Monday, March 5, 2007

Bleah

Well, the entrelac socks are turning out... less than satisfactory:



As interesting as this tehnique may be, I cannot imagine knitting the gazillion little squares required to make this toecap into a pair of knee-high socks. I don't want to pick up the gazillion-and-five stitches required to make these little squares. I don't want to put such socks into my drawer because they will take up so much space and I know, I already know, that I will never wear them. Finally, I can think of better things to do with five skeins of nice german sock yarn.

I'm glad I realized all these things before knitting more.

In the "annoying" category: I've worn the poppy socks in Lorna's Laces once, and they're already showing wear and felting around the heels. What the hell? $10/skein yarn shouldn't behave like this. And I wasn't hiking or anything. I do expect to be able to wear the socks I make.. I am very disappointed in this yarn.

But not all is bad. I am making another pair of socks, with some merino I bought on e-bay. It is dyed by erikkim and feels very nice. So far the socks (Grumperina's Jaywalkers, in slightly thicker yarn) fit J with his funny feet beautifully. And Ms Yak is turning into a soft warm hat - perfect for the predicted cold spell this week.





The little cable is inspired by Elsebeth Lavold's viking knits project; she figured out how to make cables start and stop in the middle of a piece. I'd like to design a jacket showcasing her beautiful cable designs, but I need to learn more about jackets and such first. No rush...